Please greet your giant isopod overlords.

In the deep sea, critters tend become either dwarfs or giants. This is because of food limitation – small animals require less food, and very large animals are more efficient. The giant squid is the most famous example of gigantism, but the giant isopod is much more near and dear to my heart. Isopods are essentially roly-poly bugs. In the ocean, they’re usually bug-sized – a centimeter or so long. But the deep sea they become MONSTERS a foot long. See them live and in actions in this deep-sea feeding frenzy. (or see them pink and cute in this Questionable Content webcomic! I really really want that t-shirt.)

26 Responses to Please greet your giant isopod overlords.

1. scott says:

Jesus H. That time lapse sequence was effing creepy.

You know, I never liked horseshoe crabs. And those critters? Those are worse. Thanks for the nightmare fodder…

2. Hee. I live to serve…YOUR FEARS.

3. Iona says:

they look like giant woodlice

4. wala says:

looks like a half-life 2 headcrab

5. baby girl says:

this looks more like a giant tick or flee
    i dont belive this is any type of sea creter
    ill belive it when i see it in REAL LIFE!!!!!

6. Tweeky says:

It’s a great sea creature! I’ve also written an article about this one. Feel free to take a look at it ;D

7. Anonymous says:

THATS FUCKING CREEPY

8. [...] British aquarium is going to display live giant isopods! Experts at the UK’s Sea Life Centre parks organised for nine of them to be transported from [...]

9. xshei luhx says:

gawd damn that shit was nasty! it was worse than 2 girls and one cup. omfg i almost threw up. it was nasty, but some how, intresting. haha im werid[:

10. yuyigtuguy says:

they are ungly and uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

11. Roger says:

That’s a beauty. Who knows what else is hiding in the depths of the oceans. I hope more is discovered and soo, so there is more fuel for ocean conservation efforts.

12. Kurt says:

That clip made me hungry! Personally … I played it with The Gourds version of Gin and Juice as background music ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SunrKwykK_Y&feature=related ). It is my strong belief that all sea critters need thematic music and, as such, the roly-poly’s seemed to require banjo pick’n.

13. BELLA says:

grossssssssssssssssssss that is so so so nasty !!! LIKE WHO WOULD LIKE THAT

but i no what some people like (TWILIGHT)

14. Heather says:

Nice pokemon!!

15. WAYNE says:

LOOK LIKE DEEP SEA COCK ROACHES

16. Michael says:

Ive been doing some translating of Japanese palaeozic plushies that I buy from a toy shop in Yokohama. I then stick these up on my livejournal (for my palaeontologist friends)

and amongst their plushies, I found a ダイオウグソクムシ
    yep, the Giant Isopod has been turned into a plushie, albeit a very small plushie
    (6 cm), so its not anywhere near life sized :(

Just in case you were bored and wanted to know here is the result of what I have translated so far

17. danae says:

dam that is fuck sca……………..y

18. danae says:

i ment fucking sca……………y

19. danae says:

i knw rigth that is fucking nas..ta

20. danae says:

wat roaches ohh i just looked it up dammm…………………….. ehhhh ohhh
    wattttttttttttttttttt..nm

suger honey ice tea that means shit FUCKERS

21. structured settlement loan…

Please greet your giant isopod overlords. « The Oyster’s Garter…

22. dart news says:

I could birth never ununderstood why somebody has dealt so intensifierly with this outcome. Now afford up to me full move. Really interesting your thesis. Although my West Germanic language is not so skillful, your theme I can understand. Hold up the Sun.

23. Adegoke says:

I just read your post on the Shortnose dragonfish, and I think it’s amziang how it walks on the bottom of the ocean to feed, and that it doesn’t swim how smart of him! Honestly he looks prettier rolled up into a sea shell

24. web design says:

Wonderful site you have here but I was curious
    if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics discussed
    here? I’d really like to be a part of community where I
    can get suggestions from other experienced people that share the same
    interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    Cheers!