Translucent marine animals

The cowfish blankly gazes into your soul.

The cowfish blankly gazes into your soul.

National Geographic has gorgeous photos of translucent marine animals. I’m especially fond of the Antarctic comb jelly and the shrimp riding a jellyfish.

Thanks, Greg! Even if your reaction to all the prettiness was “me. ocean. no.”

11 Responses to Translucent marine animals

1. anna says:

what a photo.

the color is from the photography, right?

2. I don’t know about the cowfish, but the comb jelly really is bioluminescent. Check out this video around 0:42.

3. bekkah says:

some ctenophores bioluminesce, but the characteristic rainbow is a diffraction of ambient light :)

4. Anonymous says:

UUUUUUU RRRRRRRRRRR ALLLLLLLLL MADSSS WE WANT INFOR MATION ABOUT MARIN ANIMALS

5. jayda says:

so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute why is that so damn cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute.

6. Thanks for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you turn out to be an expert, would you mind updating your weblog with more details?

7. Josephine says:

can I give you a trophy or soimehtng? I observe and make mental notes in my head too at these events, mainly because I wanna get the hell outta there. As you know, I totally struggle with this too, i’m glad to see you jump into that social pool. Sometimes its the food, but its also the feeling of being trapped, like I can’t leave. This is why I never go to functions on a boat, unless I bring a bathing suit and flippers.

8. Olga says:

WOW! thanks Alan for capnirutg all the magic of this day. You have snapped us looking the way we feel, special and beautiful and in love. What a gift; that you have and have given. And ill i can say is, what failing light Thank youS

9. Hleok says:

Hi Jessica,Thanks for posting! I read soweehmre that during the middle ages, a betrothal was as good as a marriage ceremony, eg the couple could actually consumate the vow before the wedding ceremony and the feast and that was totally acceptable. Any thoughts on that? Makes for a good set-up in a romance….Kathrynn